中間我到Chicago 大學作Haskell Foundation Lecture。又到Banff溫泉赴太平洋學會的年會，皆以事忙，沒有日記。
胡適1933年7月12日至24日在芝加哥大學的哈斯克講座Haskell Foundation Lecture。9月30日交稿，10月1日寫序。1944年5月出書。
A Century of Progress International Exposition was a World's Fair held in Chicagofrom 1933 to 1934 to celebrate the city's centennial. The theme of the fair was technological innovation. The fair's motto was "Science Finds, Industry Applies, Man Adapts"; its architectural symbol was the Sky Ride, a transporter bridge perpendicular to the shore on which one could ride from one side of the fair to the other.
David Kasnic for The New York Times
‘Races of Mankind’ Sculptures, Long Exiled, Return to Display at Chicago’s Field Museum
February 1, 2016
As visitors approach Chicago’s Museum of Science and Industry, they feel as though they’re entering a grand Neo-Classical temple. Learn more about the building that gives us a rare look at what the architecture of the 1893 World’s Fair's truly looked like.
|Location||1400 S. Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, Illinois, United States|
Field Museum of Natural History
|Architect||William Peirce Andersonof Graham, Anderson, Probst & White|
|Architectural style||Classical Revival|
|NRHP reference #||75000647|
|Added to NRHP||September 5, 1975|
The Field Museum of Natural History, also known as The Field Museum, is a natural history museum in Chicago, and is one of the largest such museums in the world. The museum maintains its status as a premier natural history museum through the size and quality of its educational and scientific programs, as well as due to its extensive scientific specimen and artifact collections. The diverse, high quality permanent exhibitions, which attract up to two million visitors annually, range from the earliest fossils to past and current cultures from around the world to interactive programming demonstrating today's urgent conservation needs.
Additionally, the Field Museum maintains a temporary exhibition program of traveling shows as well as in-house produced topical exhibitions. The professional staff maintains collections of over 24 million specimens and objects that provide the basis for the museum’s scientific research programs. These collections include the full range of existing biodiversity, gems, meteorites, fossils, as well as rich anthropological collections and cultural artifacts from around the globe. The Field Museum Library, which contains over 275,000 books, journals, and photo archives focused on biological systematics, evolutionary biology, geology, archaeology, ethnology and material culture, supports the Field Museum’s academic research faculty and exhibit development.
The Field Museum academic faculty and scientific staff engage in field expeditions, in biodiversity and cultural research on all continents, in local and foreign student training, in stewardship of the rich specimen and artifact collections, and work in close collaboration with public programming exhibitions and education initiatives.
The Field Museum and its collections originated from the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition and the artifacts displayed at the fair.[better source needed]In order to house the exhibits and collections assembled for the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair for future generations, Edward Ayer convinced the merchant Marshall Field to fund the establishment of a museum. Originally titled the Columbian Museum of Chicago in honor of its origins, the Field Museum was incorporated by the State of Illinois on September 16, 1893, for the purpose of the "accumulation and dissemination of knowledge, and the preservation and exhibition of artifacts illustrating art, archaeology, science and history." The Columbian Museum of Chicago occupied the only building remaining from the World's Columbian Exposition in Jackson Park, the Palace of Fine Arts, which now houses the Museum of Science and Industry.
In 1905, the museum's name was changed from Columbian Museum of Chicago to Field Museum of Natural History to honor its first major benefactor, Marshall Field, and to reflect its focus on the natural sciences. During the period from 1943 to 1966, the museum was known as the Chicago Natural History Museum. In 1921, the Museum moved from its original location in Jackson Park to its present site on Chicago Park District property near downtown. By the late 1930s the Field emerged as one of the three premier museums in the United States, the other two being the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH, New York) and the National Museum of Natural History (Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC).
The Field Museum has maintained its reputation through continuous growth, expanding the scope of collections and its scientific research output, in addition to the its award-winning exhibitions, outreach publications, and programs. The Field Museum is part of Chicago’s lakefront Museum Campus that includes the John G. Shedd Aquarium and the Adler Planetarium.
In 2015, it became public that an employee had defrauded the museum of $900,000 over a seven-year period to 2014.